BusinessObjects Board

(c0000005 Unhandled Error) - When Cutting & Pasting Cell

I get the dreaded Blue Bug accompained by the c0000005 Unhandled Error message whenever I try to copy & paste more than one cell at a time. I can copy and paste whole tables but it falls over when I try to do cells.

This problem affects everyone in my department on all machines. My machine has 1Gig of RAM and 130GB hard drive and I’m running BO 5.14.

Help!

skcrip (BOB member since 2004-11-01)

Here is a thread to get you started. I don’t believe it particularly covers cutting and pasting as a source of this error but may give you some ideas. Its also worth a search cos there are a few other threads where we have discussed this in the past.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

skcrip, you should also be aware that BusinessObjects reports are not the same as Excel. Unless you’ve drawn a single cell on your report – and entered a single-valued value into it – you cannot copy and paste a “cell” from a report.

BusinessObjects reports are “band-styled” – when you click on a regular data cell, you are actually clicking on all the rows of data like that. So you may think you are copying and pasting a “cell” - but you are not. Depending on the volume of your data, you may be copying way more data to the clipboard than you think – and that may be why you are crashing. How big is the report?

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I remember getting this error every time I tried to copy a break line so that I could paste into another table. I really just wanted the formatting and kept thinking it would save me a few clicks. Hah! I eventually broke myself of the habit. One cell good; whole line bad :rotf:

scott copeland (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thanks for the replies.

I tried maxing my Page File to give me more virtual memory and this allowed me to do some cutting and pasting but eventually it crashed anyway. I then got a ‘c0000096 Exception_Priv_Instruction’ error followed by the same old c0000005.

I’m convinced this is a memory issue. Anita, the tables I have in the report aren’t actually ‘band-styled’ (I know this is the default) but in fact each cell has a different formula in it. This makes me think that the sheer volume of data is causing the problem. But I can still cut and paste whole tables?!

Any ideas?

This caused me a lot of grief.

Seems that BusinessObjects wasn’t opening a sessoin of clipboard so, created a DOS batch file, that started the clipboard before opening businessobjects.

I use this to open BO rather than directly opening BO itself, and it works a treat.

dessa :madagascar: (BOB member since 2004-01-29)

skcrip,

Does this happen if you work in Structure mode?

Judy

JMulders :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Judy

I don’t know actually, I’ll give it a try.

Thanks

c0000005 error would mean that the application somehow managed to corrupt its variables and tried to access memory beyond its heap.

I don’t think as a user of the App (BO) you can do anything about it. Only way out would be to log a case with BO and have them debug their code with your test secnerio.

HTH

shamit (BOB member since 2004-07-01)