BusinessObjects Board

BusinessObjects vs. Everyone else

Hi everyone. I need some advice from the Bob community, particularly those senior members who have done great things with BOE and who have seen or worked with other Reporting tools as well (Cognos, IBI, OBIEE, MicroStrategy, Microsoft).

I have spent the last few years of my career working with and around BusinessObjects. I have also worked closely with other tools (Hyperion Essbase, MicroStrategy). I recently changed jobs and am working towards building a BI department for a University. We have IBI here and it’s a decent tool. I have the capability of proposing another BI tool set. I plan on putting together an RFP and letting the user community at our University decide on what to select. Do you all believe BOE is really the best BI tool? I realize there’s no one perfect tool and my personal opinion is the people running the tools can do wonders (or not).

However, i’m interested in starting this discussion, which has been touched up in different posts here.

1. As a professional, should i be just and let the user community decide what tool to choose?
  2. I personally like BOE. However, some industries are so stuck with certain tool sets. Cognos and IBI have a strong hold of Education. Now OBIEE is gaining market share. BO has been absent. Your thoughts?

Any other thoughts you’d like to share?

twenty5 (BOB member since 2008-01-22)

While it may not give you everything you need, you might start with this topic: Comparing BO with other tools

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)