BusinessObjects Board

Business Objects fails to load login box

Hi I’m after some assistance from anyone who maybe able to help.

We are currently running BO version 5.1.7 and now have an intermittent issue whereby uses will experience a 2 week period of not being able to access BO due to the login box not appearing when attempting to launch.

I have checked all required permissions and registry entries and these are all set correctly. When signing into the same machine using a dummy test account the application successfully loads however the application still fails to load for the machines permanent user.

The software has been removed and re-installed to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? FYI we are running Windows 10 and prior to this had no reports of this problem when running Windows 7.

Hello @Simon and welcome to B :mrgreen:B

By chance do the users have multiple monitors or use laptops that are sometimes connected to external monitors? Sometimes the dialog boxes for Business Objects will open off screen depending on the position of the dialog box previously.

There are many examples on the web for how to do this, here’s one: https://www.njevity.com/2014/02/18/a-window-is-not-visible-how-to-move-off-screen-windows-back-into-view/

1 Like

Hi @JohnBClark the users do have multiple displays however I’ve checked in Task Manager and nothing is present and nothing appears on the Task Bar.

You won’t see it in either of those places from my experience. You need to use Alt+Tab to tab through the open windows. The login dialog will look like a small blank screen as you tab through the open applications.

@johnbClark is right (again :slight_smile: )
regarding reinstallation - the catch is the windows coordinates (in absolute numbers/pixels) are stored in registry (HKCU-SW-BO…)
therefore if is not manually deleted the reinstall does not help… can be also fixed there… but the “alt+space, M, arrows” combination works…

T.

This is true but I didn’t mention it because editing the registry can get messy. I have updated the coordinate numbers in the registry to solve this before but the Alt+Space option is easy and safer.

@JohnBClark: yes its just explanation why the reinstall did not help…
as I mentined in my last answer - the tip of yours: the Alt+space option works