BusinessObjects Board

Business Objects 5.16 Details

we have a project to convert 5.16 deski reports in webi 3.1, these reports are not held centrally and have been built over the last 8 years, are hundreds…

what I am look for is a tool that can be run to look at each report and return some attributes… i.e. when created, when modified, last refreshed…

so we can limited the need to convert old reports…

Does anyone have such a tool… or know of one…

Regards - Paul

paul.raeburn (BOB member since 2010-03-05)

Paul,

Welcome to B :mrgreen: B!
You could try here, also, there is other stuff in the Bobs downloads section, whether it will work with such an antique version, I’m unsure ;).

https://bobj-board.org/t/29473

If I was to do this I would probbaly query the tables directly, although its been so long I would need to read up on what, data, is where…

Cheers,

Mark.

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Those posts/universes won’t be useful for you …

The info you are looking for is not stored within the repository database.

There is no way to get this info even if you used Auditor (since it’s not tracking deski activity).

There are several third party tools which can help you to migrate your documents based on their usage…

I believe Auditor started tracking Deski in either 3.0 or 3.1.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Correct that’s why with a 5.1.6 there is no way to get these data :mrgreen:

:oops: I’ll get my hat…

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Well wrong about this one then guys!
My memory is failing me, I must be getting too old… although it is a little while since I used 5.16, :rotf: .

Believe me or not I was on a customer site this Tuesday running 5.1.6 :mrgreen: To be honest quite common here…

Ah, so maybe your memory is not better than mine, you still get asked such questions.
There are a few people here, doing the same, worse stilll, you find companies still using multiple versions, probably, they have not heard of the enterprise concept :sleeping: .

Hi Paul,

[quote:5306234757=“paul.raeburn”]…some attributes… i.e. when created, when modified, last refreshed…
[/quote]
Some attributes like date created, date modified could be extracted from reports using VBA. However, last refreshed date is not stored in documents :nonod:

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Paul

Are you planning to recreate the reports in Webi, or convert them to XI 3.1 and still open them in Deski?

I also believe there was a change in the calculation engine at some stage during a V5 release. I can’t remeber which release it was. So during your testing, keep an eye out for calcualtions in an XI3 report not matching those in a V5 report.

If you are looking to covert/rewrite the reports in Webi, bear in mind that the formula syntax is different between deski and webi.

LR

Lone Ranger (BOB member since 2003-07-10)

As far as I remember, it was BO 5.1.4 where there were changes in the calculation engine.

Thanks for all the replies…

what I would like to know of the hunderds of reports, which ones have been used over say the last 2 years… reports that have not been used, refreshed etc can be discounted…

I thought they maybe some type of program that can look at the rpeorts and get some property data from them…

I do know you cannot do this type of activity within BO… I do not want to waste time looking at reports that have not been used for a very long time…

regards - Paul

sorry, I forgot to mention… all these reports are not held in any type of control enviroment…

[quote:fc00eb2ab3=“paul.raeburn”]what I would like to know of the hunderds of reports, which ones have been used over say the last 2 years… reports that have not been used, refreshed etc
[/quote]
As it was said, usage of DeskI reports was not tracked in BO 5.x by default. You had to have your own custom solution or a 3rd party tool that did that. If you don’t have anything like that then there is nothing that could tell you this report has been or has not been used in the last x years or months. This information is not stored in reports either. :nonod:

That’s easy, don’t convert any of them and see who complains. :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, you would first have to get copies of every report. Once you do that, you would be able to write a VBA script that would open each of them and do some basic analysis like determine when the report was last refreshed and how many rows it returned and so on. But first you need to get your hands on all of the reports.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

You can get a last execution time of a data provider of a DeskI document using VBA.

However, this information can be deceiving. Imagine a DeskI report that was refreshed and saved when it was developed. Then the report was published into Corporate documents and was available to users via Infoview. Users refreshed the reports many times but never saved it (maybe they were not allowed to do so). Such report will still have last execution time of its data providers equal to the time when it was developed and saved by the report developer.

Reports refreshed via the corporate repository should be in the audit logs. I was assuming they were looking for “personal” documents, as the original poster mentioned they were not in any sort of controlled environment.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I second Dave’s suggestion. Take copies of all the reports, and convert them as and when someone asks for it.

You’ll be spending a lot of time working out what to convert, the priority, etc. Best to convert those which are really in demand.

Lone Ranger (BOB member since 2003-07-10)

Yes, again all thanks for the replies…

we have some thoughts now…

regards - Paul