BusinessObjects Board

Business Object 5.X Move

We are running BO version 5.X in a SQL Server environment.

We need to move the repository / processes from Server A to Server Z…

We are not using any of the WebIntelligence, etc as we have a very small user base.

So far, I have:

• had our DBAs restore the BO_Repository DB to the new windows host
  • generated a new BO.key file to point to the new repository DB and have sent to all my end users
  • changed all my end users ODBC DSN to point to the new DB server

I can connect to the repository on the new server with the Supervisor, Designer, Business Objects.

However, I can not import or export any .unv files from the repository on the new server.

I have changed the connection definitions in the repository where applicable.

I have changed the conncetion definition for the repository in the .unv files.

Please help.

crswain :us: (BOB member since 2004-11-04)

I found this post relating to my question …

These are the exact steps I followed prior to the move but it did not seem to work properly???

Any ideas?

:confused:

What you didn’t do was log in to Supervisor and repoint your domains to the new location.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

I did…

I have a “Document” domain and a “Universe” domain.

I changed the servers for both and they tested good?

However, I am noticing that I can not scan the security domain???

I get the following error:

Starting scan …
Press ‘Esc’ to abort.
Line 1: parse error
Incorrect rules file. Please check the installation. (ADM0134)
Error encountered during processing. (ADM0032)

:crazy_face:

But did you change the connection for each of those domains to point to the new server? That’s what Steve is suggesting you missed doing.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Yes… I did change for both the “Documents” and the “Universe” domains.

So, did you go to your
C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Online Guides\EN\ErrorsEN.pdf file (or something like that) and do a search on ADM0134, the error message you’re getting??

The error explanation is very clear – and the resolution is there as well. It tell you that the srrules.srr script that requires to perform the Scan and Repair is either corrupted or missing. Or, could it be, that you have a wrong version?

Yes I did go to that .pdf file and looked up the error.

Made a backup of my srrules file… copied one from another client and still had issues. I put old srrules files back in place.

Will try to get from somewhere else.

Connected to the new repository (on new host) with Supervisor application on original server (after replacing key file to point to new host connection) … was able to scan and repair the Security domain.

I am still not able to import or export from the supervisor or from within designer?

Corey – I just picked up on the fact that you are using Designer and Supervisor from the server rather than from your PC. Why aren’t you trying it from your PC?

Tried both server and pc…

The PC must have a different version of the srrules files … the one on the server worked.

Again, I was able to connect (with the client installed on the server (note this is the way someone else setup… not me), validate all the connections for the three domains (Security, Documents, Universe) and Scan / Repair / Compact the domain(s).

The integrity check for the Documents and Universe domains fails…

At this point I’m asking the DBAs to restore the backup from the original again and try again.

As last resort, I’m planning on:
brining back up the old server repository
export all the users, universes, reports, etc
create a new repository and re-import

:shock:

I got it working … it was because the OLEDB connections associated to the “Documnet” and “Universe” domains did not specify the default database.

The default was not specified with the connections on their other server… but this SQL Server instance (on the new host machine) must be different and required the default db be named as part of the OLEDB connection.

The reason the srrules file did not work from my client pc is that my client pc has 5.1 INTL and the server client is 5.1.X. The 5.1.X client is able to scan and validate, etc. Mine is not because of the version difference.

Unfortunately I do not have a 5.1.X CD (I was told a BO consultant installed it there (on the server) in the past.