BusinessObjects Board

Bulk adding of Object decriptions to universe possible ?

Hi,

I have a couple of universes I need to build around 500 objects each universe, sounds alot of objects but these universes will form the basis of number smaller universes, ie master / slave.

Luckly for me they have already created a spreadsheet thats lists the object name and the descriptions, also the db table and column names. The underlying schema isnt ready yet so they just want to see a draft of how the universe will look ie classes and object names.

To get the object names quickly into the universe I did the following trick. Rather than manually type the object name in or copy and past I created a table based on the objects names something like the following,

CREATE TABLE objects
(Account_ID VARCHAR(12),
Account_Name VARCHAR(12))

The data type didnt matter just wanted to create the table. I then went Designer pulled the table in, I then dragged the table to the object area and presto it created a class with the table name and object with the names I needed, it automatically dropped the underscores :mrgreen: copy and pasting would of taken me hours. I know I still need to add the table definitions, classes and objects types joins but table definations are not ready so this is all I can do at moment.

Anyway my question does anyone know how I could bulk update the object descriptions as well ? May be updating the repo directly … I know its not supported but this is a brand new universe so currently in dev and dev repo so doesnt matter if I break it, just cant face hours of copy > paste, copy > paste :roll_eyes:

Cheers :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rich :uk: (BOB member since 2002-10-04)

Now Rich, with four stars (years) here on BOB and over 750 posts, I’d have expected better of you smile. A simple search for “update description” listed this utility near the top. It should do the trick for you.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Sorry :oops: as in the words of Jim Diamond ‘I should of known better’, I’ve put my dunce hat on and and will sit in the corner for an hour, :mrgreen:

Me in corner > http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PTGPOD/386410a~Businessman-Sitting-in-Corner-with-Dunce-Hat-Posters.jpg

No excuses, and cant believe its 4years, long live BOB :hugs: Ive found what Im after using the search link. :yesnod:

Cheers :cheers: :cheers:

Rich :uk: (BOB member since 2002-10-04)