BusinessObjects Board

building a hierachy (drill list) of values in a prompt

HI,
I have a user who says an old report used to give a hierachy of values to choose from at a prompt before the report ran.
He says that when you clicked on the ‘values’ for a prompt you were given a list. If a value was chosen then the associated values were displayed … and so on and so on until you clicked Ok and the value selected. This example refers to a network hierachy say starting at GXP, substation, feeder, ICP.

I thought that a LOV would only display the values associated with the field in the prompt.

How is it possible to get this drill list, or hierachy in a new report prompt?

Puzzled… :confused:

Dean

DTM :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2004-03-24)

This is called Cascading Prompts in BO and yes you’re correct in assuming it relates to the LOV.
In Designer you can edit the LOV per object either from the top Tool / LOV fuction or if you use the object edit function.
In the object edit panel ther is a tab that displays the enable LOV feature and the LOV name assigned to that object.
If you edit the LOV, you will see the distinct sql definition generated.
You can edit or apply cascading logic on this level.
I am off site and it’s been a while since i did report development, but if you search in here for Cascading prompts and you should be able to get some pointers.

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

Thanks you’re a champ!
I will do that

Dean

See the Designer FAQ for more details.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi,
thanks for the heads up - but this is not quite how the drill used to work.

This method seems to give nested prompts - What I was after was almost like a ‘windows explorer’ hierachy of folders that one could click in to reveal sub levels.

It is to do with the Hierachical view of the prompt when ‘values’ is clicked.

I have resolved this now and I will explain below:

The designer faq explains that you put the objects in the ‘conditions’ box. and subsequent prompts appear.

if you edit the properties of the object within the hierachy you want. Pull the other objects into the ‘Result Objects’. For example object 4 - pull in objects 3,2 & 1 making sure object 4 is at the end.

Click save & close - then if you click the display button and choose hierachical view - you get the hierachy in a ‘folder view’

I don’t know what this is called (someone may be able to enlighten me) or that it is explained elsewhere in this forum but I’ve put it in anyway. Hope this clarifies for future lookers.

Dean