BusinessObjects Board

BOB Search Engine

Hi all,

I went to use the BOB search this morning to see if I could find some information on a specific issue that I was having on one production server.

Anyway when I did the search in BOB, it came back with no replies, so I used the google search and low and behold it came up with a post on BOB that discussed the issue I was having.

When I went back into BOB and posted the exact description of the post, BOB still didnā€™t find it.

Is this something new or has this been happening for a while?

[Moderator Note: Moving from General Discussion to About BOB - MichaelWelter]

plessiusa :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-22)

Read through this post and let me know if it answers your question.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Hi Michael,

The search string that I was looking for was the error message that came on one of our servers that does not have VBA installed yet is our Deski and Webi report server.

The error message was ā€˜Visual Basic for Applications is not available, thus embedded macros will not run. Do you want to open the document anyway?ā€™

I did a search up to and including the word available and it did not return the result. I checked the stop word list and of the 7 words used, only the 3 short words were excluded.

I guess I just donā€™t understand search algorithms. But my question is, then, should I have been able to search for this term or is it valid that it was not returned.

Keep in mind, also, that words containing 3 letters, or less, such as VBA, will not be included in a BOB search. You also cannot search on phrases; only words. If thereā€™s an error number, itā€™s always better to search on that.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Thanks Michael,

Will bear that all in mind in future, unfortunately this one doesnā€™t have an error number so it makes the search that little harder.

Actually, three letter words are included ā€¦ less than three are not. Try searching on words that tend to be unique. I searched for ā€œembedded macrosā€ and got 35 hits, some with the nearly exact phrasing of your error message as the title.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks Dwayne will try that.