BusinessObjects Board

BOB is Retiring

Hello! A large logistics company? Am I right or am I right?!

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Pharmaceuticals - April 2007, according to my LinkedIn! I remember talking to you at the time about your huge post count on here. :smiley:

Claire Everitt :uk: (BOB member since 2002-09-03)

Ah AZ…that is a long time ago!

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

In 1997, I installed my very first WebI 1.3 server at the Pentagon Navy Annex. In 1999, after retiring I was hired by Bernard from Business Objects as a “consultant”. I knew NOTHING, other than to hit the setup button. But I was in love with the semantic layer. All these years, over and over, in hundreds of gigs, I have used this resource. It was a life saver so many times in real world scenarios. It is sad to see it go.

I don’t really agree that Business Objects is obsolete. There are still literally thousands of deployments around the world and in the US. Especially in the government. We just did a massive DHA upgrade recently of AIX BOE4.2. One of the hardest environments to work with. The semantic layer is still alive and well. There still very few replacements for a robust enterprise solution that offers the same security and reporting capability.

Regardless, thank you for providing this resource for so long.

Respectfully
Angel Davila
Business Objects Old Timer

angelsd1 :us: (BOB member since 2005-10-21)

So Sad to hear this news,

BOB has been invaluable to me and my colleagues over the years and still is, even answers to questions regarding old versions can be still relevant to current versions of BO, can the static version be kept for longer or is it possible to get an off line copy?

Is its a matter of cost or time that the board is closing? is it possible for someone else to step in and take on some of this cost or work load?

Please DM me so we can have a chat about this, I’m @TheAbductee on twitter

Thanks

Andy

abductee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-09-05)

Already being talked about Andy:

Very sad news. I was active on BOB until few years ago. Learned so much thanks to BOB. My posts on BOB got me a new job in 2013. I had answered a guy on this forum who interviewed me later and recognized me from my posts on this forum. Thank you.

Raghvendra Deshpande :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-26)

Any updates on getting a new community together? I really need a forum like this for the foreseeable future…

RickOShay (BOB member since 2019-07-17)

Julien,
Thanks greatly for those excel/vba’s. As a repository display mechanism there is none better. They saved my butt many times.

• Bob

ODPPOLL (BOB member since 2007-05-30)

If you missed it, discussion on BOB 2.0 has been taking place here:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

This site was a great help for me over the years. I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions, and most of all the BOB!

Its been a long road, and its sucks a cloud is looming in the horizon…

Thanks All! :wave: :wave:

dsoriano (BOB member since 2008-01-29)

I can’t express how much I’ve relied on all of you folks through this forum. I suspect there are a lot of others out there that use this forum as resource but may not feel comfortable or experienced enough to offer up solutions.
As my organization tries to navigate the myriad of new tools available I firmly believe BODS will remain our most important prem to prem ETL solution for a while yet, so hopefully there will be a replacement to this forum. If so I will attempt to step up my posting game. The loss of this resource will be felt.

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge over the years.

seanrec :canada: (BOB member since 2015-02-19)

Perhaps it’s a sign we should look for BO alternatives.
I’ve been interacting with the Forum since 2003.
What reasons can everyone point to that makes you keep BO around? For us, it is the only tool that can filter and send to many recipients using publications. It also handles logins using SAP Roles/LDAP and it’s easy to use @Variable(‘BOUSER’) to control what a user sees.
I’d like to hear what you think BO does that other tools can’t/don’t.

It’s been a good run for this Forum! Thanks for all the help Gurus.

pcgeekus :us: (BOB member since 2003-10-16)

The big thing for us is tracking of user activity. The state requires us to keep track of when users view (open) various documents we keep. Also a number of our users need to keep a history (like for five years) of reports. Unfortunately we only use a small subset of the capabilities of the platform.

kevlray :us: (BOB member since 2010-06-23)

Does it all get archived away? Or does it disappear after August 20?

It would be sad for it to disappear. I was the QA manager and a PM for a bunch of releases.

I still am trying to explain AGGREGATE_AWARE to people today.

If ever you want to do an AMA, I would be happy to do that, and explain where the audit universe came from, why we had to go from Web 1 to WebI 2 so fast, or why WebI 2.6 was the best release ever…

tomtobin (BOB member since 2020-03-20)

It seems that B :mrgreen: B’s not dead

But too late for the domain name

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

How about
http://www.bobaintdead.com/
server not found. as in name available

Or one of the snazzy new TLDs?

http://www.bob.global/

kbrazell :us: (BOB member since 2003-08-19)

I am a “newer” BOBJ user, less than 4 years old. I am finding your resource so very helpful. In particular, it is needed for those transitioning to SAP C4 Hana and still need a legacy resource.

thankful4u (BOB member since 2020-04-14)

what’ new here ? currently writting an article about web site and forums dedicated to BO and I would like to know how Bob could be presented ? Red some project to save the forum stuff presented by Julien ? What about this ?

bernard timbal :fr: (BOB member since 2003-05-26)

Hopefully BOB can continue in a new guise,

Its been an invaluable resource for us classic BOBJ people over the (many)
years.

JB101 (BOB member since 2009-06-15)