BusinessObjects Board

BO 5.1.2 file specs for. REP files

OK - this is a very unusual one.
Does anyone have or know where to get the full file format specifications for .rep files?
As an administrator, I’m working on a Trending Analysis on the embedded SQL in all the reports. With the proper specs, I can quickly extract them without having to completely search through each of the 7000 reports.

malphonse :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-28)

Since the REP files are not intended to be manipulated outside of the core BusinessObjects products, I doubt you’re going to find this information. I am guessing that you could, however, scan the documents looking for the word “Select” and extract text from there.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks, Dave.
I suspected as much, but I didn’t think it hurt to ask.

At the moment, I’m running a MS DOS script to search for the SQL info I need. :expressionless: Trouble is, a lot of reports are saved with a ton of data so things are absymally slooooowwww. To make matters worse, I have 30 string-patterns to check for on each file. I’ll have more fun watching molasses run uphill… :wink:

I plan to switch to Windows Script Host to get better performance, but I suspect I’ll have to go even higher and write the scanner in C.

Maybe, you could also write some VB macro to open all Business Objects documents from a file location, retrieve the SQL code, save it in a txt file or MS Access database and then report off it (using Business Objects).

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

And this would even, believe it or not, work for WQY reports. BusinessObjects can open the WQY file format, it just converts it to a REP. So you could do everything (per your other post in the WQY area) in one pass. 8)

No need to reinvent the wheel. A company called Integra Solutions has VBA macros for exactly this:
http://www.integrasolutions.net/isi_library_downloads_BO_vba.htm :lol:

jkyrala_ (BOB member since 2004-02-28)

I didn’t see any macros on this site to satisfy my needs. Is the anywhere else I can check?

Do you want a listing of document names with SQL from each data provider?

Yep! That would be fantastic! I’d like to be able to run a utility that will scour all subdirectories for REP and WQY files and generate a database with file specs (path, name, last updated, date created, file size, dp name) as well as the SQL for each data provider in the report. I can then do all the SQL analysis I need on the output db. At a minimum, I can do text searches. Ideally, I’m looking at a SQL parser as well.

This entry in BOB’s Downloads might prove to be a starting point. It goes to a specific folder, but it could be changed to look for all folders on a drive. It obtains the objects used in the data providers, but it would be really easy to add the call to get the overall data provider SQL from each data provider as well. In fact, we discussed some changes that could be done in this topic.

Be advised that if you have large reports, this utility would still take a while as it has to open the document.

Unfortunately, this method could take several days to run through 25,000 reports comprising 12GB. :shock: yeah. It’s that big. This was and is my challenge.
I wrote a MS DOS script to do a brute-force search through each report in its entirety, but it was slower than molasses running uphill :sleeping: since alot of the reports were saved with a ton of data!
The problem: I had to find occurrences of 30 separate string patterns in each file. what fun… :roll_eyes:
:idea: Now I’m considering Windows Script Host or, better yet, C or C++.