BusinessObjects Board

Best Methodology for Implementing "All" parameters

Hi,

I am responsible for installing and testing a Business Objects Universe and its associated reports. The Universe has been provided by the State Government and the reports have been designed with Webi in mind. I am not allowed to modify the universe/reports.

The developer has implemented an “All” option for the few Full-Client reports, but the remainder are designed in Webi and the devleloper says an “All” option can’t be added to the parameter in Webi.

Unfortunetaly Webi requires at least one value in each Parameter to be selected, however frequently we will need to run the report with all parameter values selected to return what data we will need.

Some of our Parameter list of values can have over one thousand values. Running these reports with all values selected makes the report run for so long a time that the report becomes useless as nobody can wait around long enough for the dataset to be returned (if it ever does that is).

Does someone know of any workable solution?

scott.thornton (BOB member since 2002-09-17)

You can build the prompt with “ALL” fuunctionality as a predefined condition in the BO universe. This predefined condition will work in WEBi and with WEBi reports :!: See FAQ: Designer for details on how to implement this…

If you select all values you are effectively using no conditions at all (as far as logic is involved). This means that the DB will do a Full Table Scan (unless you have a covering index) and will return all rows from the table (or from the temporary view created from joining two or more tables). So my question is: How many rows are being returned in this worst case scenario? And have you looked at utilizing BCA (Broadcast Agent)

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Hi,

I have seen that url before: I though it was possible… I’ve passed it onto the developer… The sticking point was adding the “All” to the parameter I suppose.

Are you are talking about offering “ALL” as a value showing in the List of Values for a prompt?

This is possible as well: Customized LOVs in the BO universe. This will work in WEBi as well.

Requirement for customized LOVs: Universe domain and document domain must reside in the same DB instance/owner (whatever the correct terminology is for your DB).

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Hi,

Yes. An “All” option in the prompt, and of course, conditions to process the the “All” correctly.