BusinessObjects Board

Automating Row Level Restrictions - is it possible?

We have a large number of universes that we distribute to our customers, each with varying numbers of row level restrictions, that currently have to be manually applied by the customers. The restrictions are all the same format, (using the @Variable=(‘BOUSER’) technique), and are applied to 2 high level groups that we recommend the customers set up.
Currently we supply the details in a document with a list of tables for each universe. We’d like to be able to automate this process from a text file, similar to the method for importing users.
We use BO 651.
I’ve searched the Supervisor forum, and checked the BO 6.5.1 doco for the Administration SDK, but not found anything which tells me I can do this.
Has anyone found a way of doing this, other than using SQL to add details to the repository tables (not an option we want to take)?

christin (BOB member since 2005-08-09)

Just another idea:
How about utilizing security features of the underlying DBMS, whereas one can restrict users to certain tables, columns, rows, etc. (please, ask your DBA for more details), thereby circumventing Business Objects row-level security all together?

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Andreas gives a useful suggestion. I’ll offer another alternative.

Think about how row-level restrictions work with Supervisor. It appends conditions to the generated SQL, right? Well, why not create a simple table in the database with the security information (user ID and “value”), and enforce the security with Designer? It also results in SQL to enforce security, but a table is MUCH easier to maintain than Supervisor overrides. It will also speed up login times, since you don’t have to gather all of those restrictions from the repository.

You may find this topic useful.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks Andreas and Dwayne for your helpful replies.

We originally went down the track of row level restrictions for various reasons, including the recommendations of the BO Technical consultants working with us on our initial design. It may be too late for us to change tack, but I’ll consider the options you suggest.

christin (BOB member since 2005-08-09)