BusinessObjects Board

Audit Actions

Here are the user requests. Are these possible with BOBJ Auditor in CMC? Activity Universe connection is working. I am using Crystal Reports.

1. User and Group access and type of access to all folders and Crystal reports.

2.Develop a report of the inventory of all scheduled reports indicating report name, location, frequency/schedule and distribution list (include FTP / file location if not e-mail).
A monthly report would probably be sufficient and would be used to facilitate management oversight of report distribution.

3.An inventory of all reports indicating report name, location, database connection, scheduled or not scheduled, when created, when last time run, by whom

4.Automated report for failed instances - Crystal report failures within folders. Most of the reports are run overnight

Environment: BOXI R2, Crystal Reports, Activity Universe

shamanth (BOB member since 2007-03-01)

Almost everything on your list can only be obtained via the SDK.

The only things you’d get from Auditor are Failed Instances and Last Refreshed. “Object is created” is an Event, but it would not capture a report that was imported from another environment, or created prior to when auditing was enabled.

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Is there any alternate option for SDK. We are also evaluating a tool called AOS KPI. I think it can handle all these features. We don’t have any Java or .NET developers. Is it easy to do in SDK?

Can you please list the items (My List) which are possible through BOXI Auditor? I think Item 1 in my list is basic. Can’t we acheive it thru Activity Universe reports?

No; Auditor only captures actions; group membership and access permissions are stored in the CMS repository.

Sorry, but I don’t know much about what APOS provides.

Through Auditor, you can get #4 (scheduling failures) and part of #3 (Last Refresh).

Joe

Do you know how to acheive this using SDK? Do you have some sample scripts?

You can check the Scheduling Instances Viewer for sample code on instances; UserList & Group Extraction for Group assignments; and Repository Documentor for report info.

Joe

Thanks much for your help!
I guess I need to go with the APOS or some other third part tool. The excel files give me some error messages.

Just want to clarify, how are “Read Document” and “Document Refresh” logged in the auditor? I know this sounds stupid, but is it when a document is opened in Infoview, this is logged as Read Document? How about instances created during scheduling, is it also logged in audit as Read Document when opened? And when a report is refreshed during scheduled run, is it also logged as well as when it is run manually?

Thanks in advance!

eijiro :singapore: (BOB member since 2010-06-04)

Yes to everything :slight_smile:

Yes. It is possible. Please go through the sample reports.
Audit database capture only actions. ‘No Action-No Capture’.
eg: If the user has never logged in but he has an account in the BOE. Information about such user won’t be captured by the Auditor.

Audit database don’t have any information about Security. You have to use third party tools like APOS KPI or 360 View or use SDK to communicate with CMS Database.

Thanks,
SG.