BusinessObjects Board

Anti-Virus Software Impacts?

I’d like to know if anyone had any anomalies or failures due to an Anti-Virus Software installed on BOBJ.

Either in specific locations or overall impact is appreciated

toscajo (BOB member since 2002-09-04)

Yes, we used to see various problems if Anti-Virus was ON on BO Server, we used to turn it OFF.

Thanks,
Mohammed

I have a couple of observations and the first definitely impacted the second.

1. Scheduled scans seem to cause very little issues. By far the biggest issue is with on-demand scanning. When the files are scanned any time they are touched (read, write, copy, move, etc.) they end up being scanned multiple times per tasks done in Business Objects. Take for example you edit a report. The report file in the repository is scanned when you open it and again when you save it. If you are good developer and save often, this is multiplied.

2. The on-demand scanning can have a significant impact on upgrades. I think it was when we upgraded from XI3.1 to BI4.1 that the process copied the report files from the source repository to a temporary location where upgrade actions were performed and then the files were copied to the target repository. With on-demand scanning active, this resulted in the following:
    The files were scanned when:

• They were read from the source repository
  • They were written to the temporary location
  • They were modified in the temporary location (this could have been occurring multiple times)
  • They were saved in the temporary location
  • They were read from the temporary location for the copy to the target repository
  • They were written to the source repository

As you can see, this was a lot of redundant scanning for the same files. Disabling the on-demand scanning shaved hours off our upgrade time.

1 Like