BusinessObjects Board

AF Documentation

Has anybody been able to find more advanced/detailed documentation on AF development, in particular documentation around customisation and tweaking the product to actually do what you want it to do?

ozbob :australia: (BOB member since 2003-05-12)

Let me know when you find some Ozbob, I’d be interested in that as well!! :wink:

What sort of Customisation and tweaking are you refering to?

South (BOB member since 2003-09-02)

id be intrested if any got any information on this post?

Imran

IMY (BOB member since 2005-07-20)

:idea: What you want to do :confused:
You Can do It :blue:
a closure look( or refined search) required. :idea: :mrgreen: :idea:

BOBurao (BOB member since 2005-09-20)

Lol BOBurao thanks for the reply, but it is ok to ask for help sometimes, when you dont understanding something… its called team work :)…

Still interested if anyone got any documentation on af…

Cheers guys…!

IMY

There is no other documentation available for AF other than what you can get from support.

As for your comment to BOBurao… I agree completely. We’ve seen a big increase lately in the number of posts that do not add any value to the thread.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Hey thanks for the reply Krandel.

Reason I posted up here, is because I require some in depth info on the setting up of application foundation. More so, how the application repository integrates with Supervisor and whether I am able to administer access to af, via supervisor (currently cannot).

Support baah… Some error on BO side, which has left our companys’ subscribernet services without access to anything that remotely looks like support from BO :nonod: thank god good ol’ BOB plays its vital role in this unforseen sea of information!

So dudes, if you got a spare copy kicking about of some good documentation (prefrably something that can give me a good idea of how AF integrates with Supervisor), feel free to gime a shout, il be happy to clear up some disk space for ya!

Oh, I ve searched for topics relating to this particular problem on here, got some positive results, but nothing which works on the current installation, so still stranded on first base :(… ne 1 know the number to 999? :roll_eyes:

Thanks in advance,

Imran

Sorry with reference to the previous posting…

If some one has any BO support documentation from the BO support section of their website that I can borrow, please do let me know (not sure of the legal implication so please feel free to set me straight if im not allowed).

Cheers again,

Imran

IMY,

I didn’t wanted to discourage you from posting. We all learn from sharing knowledge. What I meant was if you have any specific problem a lot of information is available on BOB which we can put together to help each other.

you may give try searching these key words Link, Security, metric , analytic, system universe etc… You may get most of answer answered.

Unfortunately AF hardly have any good documentation.We have to resolved most of issues thru BOB by sharing each others knowledge.

BOBurao (BOB member since 2005-09-20)

Hey BOBurao,

Thanks for reply, I see what you mean. However I have performed some searches and frequently come across some threads which may be of use. Unfortunately it is the case that each install is different and it was out of sheer frustration that my problem was common, but solutions off here did not work! Hence another thread…

Id be the first to stand up and say BOB is fantastic. I started working with BO with no knowledge, never hearing of it before and you guys have become my first contact for any support (not because u guys are the only ones) because there is a wealth of information on here.

But any hoot, referring to the same problem. There is apparently an .exe file that you have to launch which will bring up AF in supervisor. Any ideas?

Again help mucho appreciato!

Imran

This Might Help

Chris Pohl :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

Hey Chris,

Much appreciate the reply. But lol yours was the only positive solution that worked. Ok, I followed the steps in your thread as you said, with reference to the reg keys and so forth. I know load up supervisor and i get 2 options, but these options i cannot see.

Let me clarify…

When I load up supervisor and click on the configuration tab, you get a list of all the BO apps. Right, I am missing AF, I have followed the instructions in the thread and something did happen. What happens is, there are 2 entities at the bottom of the list, in the configuration tab of BO Supervisor. Now, these entities, I cannot see but I am able to click. On clicking and selecting properties, I get an error message. This did not appear prior to the instructions given on the thread and gives the impression that supervisor is picking up something, but not correctly.

Have i broke/missed something?

If you require a screenie, gime a shout…

Cheers dude,

Imran

I think ive kinda changed the topic of the thread :oops:

Sorrryy…

Imran

I’m guessing you need to setup the share on the server.
I updated the FAQ with this (very important, but forgotten) 1st step:

1. Create a Share on your AF Server called Supervisor to
    :\Program Files\Business Objects\Application Foundation\Tools

Hey Chris,

Much appreciate the reply, but server = Unix Solaris… Hmm? Will the method still work?

Please forgive my ignorance, a share is…?

May be, I am not understanding the terminology correctly, is this a new directory within the Unix box in the :\Program Files\Business Objects\Application Foundation\Tools directory?

Thanks…

Imran

ps: I have searched the BOB AF forum prior this thread… :stuck_out_tongue: hehe

Not quite sure how you do this in UNIX … the general idea is to define a shared space (the tools directory) that your local supervisor can see. Then use the registry setting to point to the file on the share.

Check out the chapter 7 (around pg 177) of the AFConfigGuide65en.pdf … it goes into step by step instructions (Not sure if they are unix friendly or not)

On Solaris, the chances are you installed supervisor (on your PC) before AF was present in the repository. I had that exact same issue…so simply ensured that AF tables were present in the repository, the reinstalled Supervisor on my client.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies. Ive been able to install appsecurity correctly, integrate my supervisor with AF (the supervsrdll.dll file) and update my security.ini correctly!

We do not have a development box to practice the out come of uploading the security.ini. Is there particular syntax to develop the security commands? I have enabled the relevant predefined ones, however, when i create some custom security tags, how is the syntax for these constructed? I want to grant access to 1 dashboard for all users (as a test), I have enabled access to everything through supervisor, updated the security.ini and made sure this is reflected upon each user group.

Is there particular syntax to create security commands? What will exactly happen to the conf directory once the security.ini file is uploaded?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

With kind regards,

Imran