BusinessObjects Board

Adding tomcat to existing IIS installation

I got a BO environment running on IIS and its all going very well. However some clever IT manager has now talked management into getting performance manager and since it doesn’t run on IIS we will be moving or partly moving to a java with tomcat setup. We still need the IIS installation to be active, since we got some custom code which is used by a department and they will not be using IIS.

We got everything running on one server so I have to add the tomcat part of BO to the existing system. What is the best way to do this? Is it as simple as modifying the installation and adding the tomcat part? Is there any things to be aware of which might cause things to break?

J0sh :australia: (BOB member since 2006-10-09)

Hi

The best option is to refer the Business Objects installation and Configuration guide…This will tell you what needs to do…

Regards

Siva.M

looksmee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

I believe you have to do a reinstall. It is because the Tomcat version of XIr2 is using JSP files and not ASP files. You cannot just change the web container.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

We have a similar issue, however our web server team says you can run JAVA on IIS i.e. Tomcat on IIS instead of Tomcat on Apache

The following web sites all agree

http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/archive/2005/10/11/How-does-JSP-work-on-IIS.aspx

http://neosmart.net/blog/2006/configuring-jsp-for-iis/

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=313876&messageID=9690673

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-06-2000/jw-0616-iis.html

Has any body done this??

Reading the post above is it concerned with VBA Custom code or some other custom code? If we switched to Apache/Tomcat then would VBA code stop working? We use VBA macros to prefill date prompts in scheduled documents - e.g.

'for TO=last day of previous month and FROM=1st April prior to TO 
'i.e. if it is now between January and April (inclusive) then use April of last year, 
'	otherwise, it is between May and December so use April of this year
If Month(Date) <= 4 Then intStartYear = Year(Date) - 1 Else intStartYear = Year(Date)
dteFrom = DateSerial(intStartYear, 4, 1)
dteTo = DateAdd("d", -1, DateSerial(Year(Date), Month(Date), 1))
ThisDocument.Variables.Item("1. Enter From Date (dd-mm-yyyy)").Value = Format(dteFrom, "dd-mm-yyyy")
ThisDocument.Variables.Item("2. Enter To Date (dd-mm-yyyy)").Value = Format(dteTo, "dd-mm-yyyy")

Am I worrying over nothing? Is the VBA code part of Business Objects (DESKI because you can’t do it in WEBI) rather IIS?

ChipDale :uk: (BOB member since 2004-05-26)

Hi,

If you are under windows, just launch setup, then choose modify and select the tomcat install. It will copy new files and deploy all the web content.

Regards,

Ghislain

ggouzy :fr: (BOB member since 2005-10-25)

Yeah ggouzy is right, you just have to do a modify install and select everything off except the tomcat webapp server.

ABILtd :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

Hi andyskinner

is your reply about getting TOMCAT workin on IIS ?

I have been told you can have BOTH IIS and Apache/Tomcat installed at the same time so Znort could have 2 web sites running one for the manager who wants PM and one for the team that has the custom code.

Yeah. To be honest, I always install both anyway - you just give a slightly different link to the people who you want to go through the Tomcan portal.

Andy

But does TOMCAT work on IIS without Apache?

AndySkinner has provided details for a full Apache/tomcat install. Please note that if you uncheck all others components, they will be removed. So I don’t advise to uncheck them.
An other solution is available (more recommended if you have configured an AD/SSO with your IIS): manually install and configure Tomcat (without apache) on your IIS. Then, choose the install of all .war files without Apache/Tomcat server (with BOXI setup > Modify an existing install… Yeah, it’s possible ;)). Finally, manually deploy all .WAR according to the steps detailed on the install guide.

Good luck,

Ghislain

Hey ChipDale.

TomCat and IIS are 2 different Web Application servers, they don`t work together they just provide 2 different portals for BOXI one IIS and .Net and one Tomcat Java .JSP

Completely separate things.

Andy

Hi,

Tomcat is an application server often bundled with Apache (webServer).
IIS is an application server + webserver
So, you can setup Tomcat With the web server part of IIS!
Take a look on the following link:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-3.3-doc/tomcat-iis-howto.html

Regards,

Ghislain

thanks for the advice. I did what you said and it worked well. tomcat was added and no issues so far.

Now I got performance manager installed as well but I can’t get the PM icon in infoview to show up. I am of course now using the java version. I used the correct keycodes, but it doesn’t show up. One thing I haven’t done was that during the installation after doing a modify installation I got this box informing about a command on the prompt to be used to insert the PM keycode. I sort of ignored it and instead put it in under CMC. Could that be the problem? I don’t remember anymore what that command was :hb:

J0sh :australia: (BOB member since 2006-10-09)

Hi,

Will the opposite work as well?

I have a BO environment running on Tomcat (for Performance Management usage). Now the IT department wants to implement SSO so we decided that adding the IIS ASP.NET webserver component will be the most straight forward way to do.

If I do a modify on the install and then choose the IIS ASP.NET web component adaptor, will it automatically install the ASP webserver without affecting the existing tomcat server?

Please advise! thanks!

De

dehuang83 :afghanistan: (BOB member since 2006-01-18)

for sso with iis u will need to “bridge” iis and apache tomcat…

here (josh this may help you with your icon apearing too)

is a doc a wrote that takes you through the process step by step. To then get sso to work you are going to need aquire the username and password of the logged in user then pass these to tomcat for auth. I have done this an age ago on client site when xir2 first came out and seem to remeber that there was some scripting that was called when the front page was accessed which grabed the id/pw and passed them through to tomcat. unfortunatly i no longer ahve the code i used as have since left that company and my laptop has exploded so i lost all the stuff i brough with me… if i can get a copy then i will pass it on but don’t hold your breath…rather google is ur friend as this is where i found all the info i needed to acheive this…all be itover a year ago

komoshon :uk: (BOB member since 2003-07-14)