BusinessObjects Board

Add free text to a BO report

Hi,

I have a BO report with multple cases (Case 1, 2 etc.)

Can I add a free text column, so I can update for each case the status, and this free text will remain matched to the specific case, after refreshing the BO report?

Thanks,
Uriel

p_uriel (BOB member since 2005-08-25)

Can you elaborate this

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Sure:

I would like to update for every case its status. Imagine I receive from a BO a list of cases numbers (1,2,3 etc.) and I would like to add for every case it’s status. This status is not extracted from the BO.

For example - case 1 - status=open, case 2 - status =Closed.

Now, if I refresh the report, I would like to have the same information. IE: case 1 - status=open, case 2 - status=Closed. If a new cases are raised up, so the status is empty for those cases.

Is it possible?

Uriel

Sure you can use this expression on a blank column

=If <cases numbers>= 1 then "Open" else If <cases numbers>= 2 then "closed" 

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Hi P_Uriel, if you’re asking whether you would be able to type into the report an explanation of where you are at with each record retrieved, and then have Business Objects memorise the status you have input and bring it up next to the same record the next time the report is run, then no, I don’t think that’s possible (at least not in any straightforward way). It would however be very easy for the status to be stored in a field in your database and then for that to be retrieved into your report. Hope this helps, apologies if I’ve not interpreted your question correctly.

Olly :uk: (BOB member since 2008-01-24)

Thanks: This is exactly what I would need (It is like to store a value in the database for my use, only).

Anyway, I see that there is no solution for this.

Thanks.

You can create an XLS and store your data there, then link that data into the Deski report. It’s a bit more complicated as it requires two data sources but I have seen it work.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

It would theoretically be possible to pop up a VBA form, enter the data there, and have the input stored in a VBA data provider right within the document. Possible, but far from trivial. Actually, we have similar requirements, but chose to solve it from the opposite direction. Use Excel as the front-end, and get data from BusObj behind the scenes using the techniques outlined here … Using BusObj Reporter/DeskI as data source for Excel/Access.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)