BusinessObjects Board

64 bits Job Server for Windows - when?

Could someone ā€œin the knowā€ answer this question? Is there something in the works or is this years away? As someone said a Windows 2003 x64 version is the obvious choice.

JornGH (BOB member since 2003-02-21)

Some of the core 3rd party libraries used inside DI are not available for Windows 64bit. So either we get rid of them or we wait until available - either way it wonā€™t be quick. Personally I would not expect to get something in 2008 - but I am not involved much in this particular discussion. However, I have shown this threat here to my team. If there are particular reasons why somebody believes a 64 version to be key for his use, please post here and I will send an update to my team.

Werner Daehn :de: (BOB member since 2004-12-17)

Volume of data we can process that might exceed the 2GB limit is one of them.

Improved performance/processing power is another.

We have invested heavily in our 64-bits server architecture - our management is now asking us why we are using 32 bits products. As Business Objects gave me no other option to answer ā€œbecause there is no 64 bits DI Job Server for Windows 2003ā€ - our managers are now looking at alternative products.

Basically, I see no excuse where there is no 64 bits DI Job Server other than bad product release management.

ErikR :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2007-01-10)

It sounds very risky that DI as a product depends on lazy, 3rd party suppliers. How do you control your own development cycles? What if they go bust? A big corporation like BO/SAP should force those suppliers to deliver 64 bit versions or tell them to take their business elsewhere.

Iā€™m quite shocked to learn that there is no 64 bit version on the horizon. This is something I have to report to my management as we also have invested heavily in our 64 bit server / database platform. When we bought DI in late 2005 we were told that late 2006 / early 2007 there would be a 64 bit version ready.

ā€¦and I have just raised your points internally. We will look at it again.

btw, me to. You seldomly need 64 bit as such but it is a matter being ā€œcleanā€ to have one for windows.

Regarding third party librariesā€¦ What do you suggest if the database vendor X does not have a middleware for 64 bit windows? Or they have but it is so buggy it fails even our internal tests? Should we write our own? Certainly not. There are dependencies, always.

Iā€™m glad you raise our concerns internally and I really hope you have some influence :slight_smile:

Is it only database libraries/middleware you have problems with? Any specific vendors? Maybe you can release a version of DI that have support for all vendors that have working 64 bit code (I assume Oracle, MS do).

Also, I disagree that we donā€™t need a 64 bit version - from a performance perspective Iā€™ll bet that a 64 bit version will kick ass with datasets > 2 Gb (your solution with files is cool, but limited to disk speed).

A little fuel for the fire. This is just what I got back from our authorized reseller about 64-bit BODI for Windows.

ā€œThe short answer is that the rumor of a new 64-bit version of DI for Windows is just a rumor. Business Objects is not currently working on a 64-bit version of DI. The reasoning for this position is the fact that all of the features incorporated into version 11.7.2 of DI have already resolved the reasons that other vendors needed to deliver a new architected version of their offerings for the 64-bit environment. The performance of DI, including removing the prior 2GB memory limit/constraint, has removed the need for Business Objects to build a new version of DI specifically architected for a 64-bit environment.ā€

Seems like they are conceding to SSIS. :reallymad:

RotondoJ (BOB member since 2005-03-03)

Yeap, thatā€™s the official marketing position. Weā€™ll seeā€¦

MySQL has no 64-bit driver for the Windows platform, for example.

I would imagine all of the big players have a 64-bit client (Oracle, MS, DB2). Who cares about Informix or Sybase these days? :wink:

Not only are there database connectivity, but there are plenty of other connections to ERP and CRM systems (such as SAP, Siebel, and so on).

Having said all thatā€¦ Iā€™d rather see a ā€œlimited connectivityā€ release on Win64 available than none at all.

dnewton :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-30)

regarding marketing again: ā€œā€¦and if you really deal with such high volumes DI has to cache GB of data, you will run on a very large server, a Unix server, anyway. And for Unix we do have 64bit versions.ā€

One more consideration is the Designer. My fist reply was, of course Designer can stay as a 32bit application. But then, all the database drivers have to exist on that server as 32bit and 64bit versions. Not a nice thing either. On the other hand, who is running the Designer program on the secured jobserver machine and not local?

Right. This seems like a bad practice.

I was wondering what platforms people are using the most, or at least, among participants on BOB.

So please take this survey:

ā€œWhat is your role, relative to BO Data Integrator?ā€

Mine??? :rotf: :roll_eyes:

Ja, you donā€™t get to answer the survey Werner. :wink:

Curious as I am, I looked at the questions but did not submit the answers - I donā€™t want to throw the survey off balance.

Is DataServices 12.0 64 bit version ?

What is the maximum memory that you can allocate to Job Server in DataServices 12.0?

Thanks

prof_shri (BOB member since 2009-04-21)

Sticky topic created:

Thanks. Time to revisit this topic I created. As I couldnā€™t get Werner to get us a 64 bit version, I decided to move. I couldnā€™t stay in the same hemisphere! :wink: (@Werner, Iā€™m just kidding!!! :smiley: :smiley: )

Question though: are there any problems when I would use the DS XI 3.1 Designer on a Windows client (XP or Vista) and place the Job Server on a 64-bit HP-UX or AIX server?

One does not need to use the DS XI 3.1 Designer under Linux to connect to an Unix-based job server right?

ErikR :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2007-01-10)

Correct - as far as I know!