BusinessObjects Board

v5 VBA add-ins - compatibility with v6.5?

We’ve currently on 5.1.7, planning to move to 6.5(.2?) later this year. Obviously, we’ll do plenty of testing (having been bitten with apparently simple upgrades going wrong in the past :roll_eyes: ), but I wondered if any folks here had encountered any problems using code written in version 5 running under version 6?
NB This is only in relation to the desktop client add-ins/macros, we don’t do any WebI stuff.

Thanks, Robin

RobinM :uk: (BOB member since 2003-02-25)

I have run across absolutely no compatibility issues whatsoever. The biggest change is not from BusObj 5.1 to BusObj 6.5 (the object models are almost identical), but the change in the actual version of VBA itself. The version of VBA was changed from VBA 5 to VBA 6.2 (the similarity in version numbers is coincidental), and Microsoft guarantees the compatibility (for whatever that’s worth).

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks Dwayne, that’s good to hear.

I’m not familiar with VBA outside of BusObj - does the new version mean much in terms of new functionality etc?

RobinM :uk: (BOB member since 2003-02-25)

I don’t have a resource handy that lists specifics, but some things I remember are modeless dialog boxes, an actual Replace() function, and improvements in array handling. Sorry, I don’t have much more than that at the moment.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hi Robin,

Migrating our add-ins from 5.1.7 to 6.5.1 was pretty painless except the standard folder we installed the scripts in was dropped (the scripts folder). We moved them to the add-ins folder and updated the scripts to reflect the changes.

I hope that helps,
Gary

Gary Andrusiek :canada: (BOB member since 2003-04-22)