BusinessObjects Board

Printer orientation wrong on 4.1 report for a 5.0.3 user

Hi, Listers. We have a strange problem that I wonder if anyone has seen before.

We are in the midst of upgrading our users from 4.1.5 to 5.0.3. For one set of documents in our repository, one group of users is experiencing an odd problem. The documents each have three report tabs, and each report was set up with landscape orientation.

When we open the document in 5.0.3 here, and print it, it prints out properly on our HP LaserJet 4000N printer. We here are still on Windows NT workstation.

This group of users has just upgraded to new machines, running Windows 2000. They have an HP LaserJet 5si printer, and their network/desktop support assures us that they are using the most recent printer driver. (Their old machines were running Windows 95, and when they used BusObj 4.1.5 with these reports, they had no problems.)

Now, when they open the document, and print preview it, or go into print setup, the layout “says” it is landscape, but the report is formatted as if for portrait. When they print it, it prints out in portrait. If they change the orientation to portrait, the “paper” looks like it is portrait, but the output is formatted as if for landscape. If they print it, it prints in landscape!

If they create new reports, they don’t have this problem. In this case, portrait prints as portrait, and landscape prints as landscape. We can’t figure out what is wrong.

We’ve tried running a scan and repair on the repository, but we can’t figure out why this group of users is having problems.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any clues as to what is going on?

Thank you,
Anita Craig
Stanford University

Listserv Archives (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

We’ve had a similar (but not exactly the same) experience. We have a set of documents that each contain 3 report tabs. Everything is supposed to be landscape, but if you print all 3 at once, the first report prints portrait, even though the print preview looks correct. The only solution I have found is to print each one separately. Then they use the correct page orientation. This happened to us in both 4.1.3 and 5.0.3. We are on Windows95. - David Sucik
Sony Pictures Entertainment

We are in the midst of upgrading our users from 4.1.5 to 5.0.3. For one set of documents in our repository, one group of users is experiencing an odd problem. The documents each have three report tabs, and each report was set up with landscape orientation.

This group of users has just upgraded to new machines, running Windows 2000. They have an HP LaserJet 5si printer, and their network/desktop support assures us that they are using the most recent printer driver. (Their old machines were running Windows 95, and when they used BusObj 4.1.5 with these reports, they had no problems.)

Thank you,
Anita Craig
Stanford University

At 11:21 AM 8/21/2000 -0700, David Sucik wrote:

We’ve had a similar (but not exactly the same) experience. We have a set of documents that each contain 3 report tabs. Everything is supposed to be landscape, but if you print all 3 at once, the first report prints portrait, even though the print preview looks correct. The only solution I have found is
to print each one separately. Then they use the correct page orientation. This happened to us in both 4.1.3 and 5.0.3. We are on Windows95.

No, that’s not what’s happening here. They are just printing a single report tab. The print preview looks WRONG to them! The radio button beside “landscape” is on, and the white piece of paper looks like it’s landscape. But the margins of what is displayed on the paper show excessive white space on the right side, as if it were for portrait. And then, when they print, it IS portrait.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,
Anita Craig

Anita,
I was wondering if you ever resolved this issue. We have recently upgraded from 5.0.2 to 5.0.3 and are experiencing similar problem.

When we open a landscape report, which was fine in 5.0.2, the Page Setup says landscape, but the “paper” looks like portrait. If we change the setting to Portrait, we see the paper looking like “Landscape”.

We are seriously considering going back to 5.0.2, but would rather not if there is another way around this, short of re-writing all our production reports.

Thanks,
Cathy Baker
Moen Incorporated

No, we have not resolved this problem. We opened a case with BusinessObjects, and I am sending some samples to them.

Regards,
Anita

At 10:53 AM 9/5/2000 -0400, “Baker, Cathy” cbaker1@MOEN.COM wrote:

Anita,
I was wondering if you ever resolved this issue. We have recently upgraded from 5.0.2 to 5.0.3 and are experiencing similar problem.

When we open a landscape report, which was fine in 5.0.2, the Page Setup says landscape, but the “paper” looks like portrait. If we change the setting to Portrait, we see the paper looking like “Landscape”.

We are seriously considering going back to 5.0.2, but would rather not if there is another way around this, short of re-writing all our production reports.

Thanks,
Cathy Baker
Moen Incorporated

Hi, Listers. We have a strange problem that I wonder if anyone has seen before.

Now, when they open the document, and print preview it, or go into print setup, the layout “says” it is landscape, but the report is formatted as if for portrait. When they print it, it prints out in portrait. If they change the orientation to portrait, the “paper” looks like it is portrait, but the output is formatted as if for landscape. If they print it, it prints in landscape!

We’ve tried running a scan and repair on the repository, but we can’t figure out why this group of users is having problems.

Thank you,
Anita Craig
Stanford University

• To Unsubscribe: ‘unsubscribe BUSOB-L’ - Vacation Options: ‘set BUSOB-L nomail’ ‘set BUSOB-L mail’

We are also experiencing some printing problems with reports while using a specific print driver (HP LaserJet 5Si/ 5Si MX PS). If we change driver to HP LaserJet 4Si/ 4Si MX,the report prints fine. We have a case open with Tech Support.
Thanks.
Manu Tewari
Duke Energy

The difference between these two drivers is that the driver for the 5si is a post script driver. I know that some applications have problems with post script drivers. They should try to load the PCL 6 drivers for the 5si. This should solve the problem.

ett.com>

At 08:37 AM 9/6/2000 -0400, Barry Beaton wrote:

The difference between these two drivers is that the driver for the 5si is a post script driver. I know that some applications have problems with post script drivers. They should try to load the PCL 6 drivers for the 5si. This should solve the problem.

However, BusinessObjects usually tells you to USE the PostScript drivers…

The problem with landscape and portrait orientation is fixed in BO 5.1. It also is working correctly in BO 5.0.2. It only did not work in 5.0.3 tech support told me.

Vicki Davis
Conoco, Inc.

We are having this problem as well and need to make a large production run next week. Would prefer not to have to upgrade to 5.1 at this point lest it introduce other problems.

Are you finding that its conistently the same reports? Is it always/only in a multi-report document? It appears to always happen to the first report in my document of 10 reports but sometimes it also happens to the 5th report as well. That is, printing portrait when they all should print landscape.

If setting it to the opposite of what we want would work and it was consistent as to which reports needed it, we could set those to portrait and get them in landscape. Is that what people have found or did I misunderstand? I will meanwhile try that as a test.

I have reported this to Business Objects and so far have been told they have no reports of this problem in their database – and I can’t find any reports either.

At 11:30 AM 9/27/2000 -0400, Joan Keith wrote:

We are having this problem as well and need to make a large production run next week. Would prefer not to have to upgrade to 5.1 at this point lest it introduce other problems.

Are you finding that its conistently the same reports? Is it always/only in a multi-report document? It appears to always happen to the first report in my document of 10 reports but sometimes it also happens to the 5th report as well. That is, printing portrait when they all should print landscape.

If setting it to the opposite of what we want would work and it was consistent as to which reports needed it, we could set those to portrait and get them in landscape. Is that what people have found or did I misunderstand? I will meanwhile try that as a test.

I have reported this to Business Objects and so far have been told they have no reports of this problem in their database – and I can’t find any reports either.

I don’t know why the problem isn’t in their database – perhaps because it is not yet resolved. We don’t know the rhyme nor reason of it yet.

So far, we’ve only noticed the problem with version 5.0.3 users who are running under Windows 2000. And not for all printers.

Sometimes, the printer orientation isn’t the problem – but instead, an undesired change of the margin – from .67 inches to 2.5 inches. This change can’t be changed back, and the leftmost part of the report doesn’t print. However, an export to the repository / reimport may cause the left margin to toggle back to .67 inches. We can’t figure it out!

If those of us experiencing the problems keep reporting them to tech support, maybe they’ll figure out the source of the problem.

Regards,
Anita Craig
Stanford University