BusinessObjects Board

No data fetch

Hi all,

exists someone who can tell me hoa to skip the message “No data fetch” when a data provider returns no data?

Thanks

Listserv Archives (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

If you don’t want to see the message, then in the query panel, go to options and check don’t return any data. The report will run without fetching any data.

Aris

There were two very creative solutions to this problem discussed recently. I found them in the archives by searching messages with the subject ‘No data to fetch’.

One solution offered by Sandy Smith was…

A trick I have used to get around this problem is to create a class of “report objects” in my universe consisting of blanks and zeroes not attached to any table. I also create at least one of these objects that refences a dummy table such as SYSDUMMY1 in DB2 (v5 and higher) or DUAL in Oracle. The objects that don’t reference a table will not parse in Designer, but they work fine as long as at least one object in the query does reference a table.

I can then take a report where I don’t want to see the “No data to fetch” message and create a union query using the blanks, zeroes and the object referencing the dummy table. This will guarantee that at least one row will be returned by the query. The zeroes added to numeric columns will not influence the result, and I can create a report filter to not display the union row. I have used this technique for long-running reports that contain multiple data providers where I do not want them to stop processing if one of the queries does not return data.

Another offered by Robert Duindam was…

We also wanted to get rid of the message ‘no data to fetch’. The solution of Sandy below seems to work fine, but I think we found an easier and more transparent solution.

We have made one dummy object. The where-statement of the dummy object only contains: ‘’ . It references an alias of a small table in our database. We put as self join on a column of this table (in our case: dummy_table.nummer = 1). Now only one row will be retrieved, whenever this table is queried. And now instead of using the union option Sandy mentioned do the following.

Create a context in your universe that contains only the self-join on the dummy table. If you didn’t use any contexts at this time, than you will have to put all the other joins in another context.

Now in the querypanel of BO make your query including the dummy object. If everyting is Ok than BO will generate two SQL statements, where one is the query of your choice and one is the sql to query the dummy table. This last query always returns one row, so no data the fetch will never pop up!

Another advantage is that the dummy object will not be linked to any other object in your query, so it doesn’t bother you at all!

This solution is tested on an oracle db and BO 5.01

Cindy Clayton - Business Objects Consultant AT&T

In the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson:
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”

Hi All!

How can I skip the message “No data Fetch”?

what you do to get rid of the “not data to fetch message”:

add the following code to a script:

dim appint as BOApplication
set appint = Application
appint.Interactive = FALSE

This will make any and all popup windows go away though. Once set for a stript, this settin gis true fo rthe whole BO session. Might want to add appint.Interactive = TRUE to the end of your script to avoid hiding other windows during your session.

Julie

Hi All!

How can I skip the message “No data fetch” ithout skipping the initial form for users input?

Thanks

May be create an Union and select nulls from dual.

Vikas .

Hi All!

How can I skip the message “No data fetch” ithout skipping the initial form for users input?

Thanks

Pls report bounces in response to postings to BUSOB-L-Request@listserv.aol.com
Web archives: listserv.aol.com/archives/busob-l.html To change service: Mail to listserv@listserv.aol.com with text in body of note

• To Unsubscribe: ‘unsubscribe BUSOB-L’ - Vacation Options: ‘set BUSOB-L nomail’ ‘set BUSOB-L mail’