BusinessObjects Board

User Objects disappeared

Hi,

I have created one report in ZABO which is pulling some fields from User Objects and some from normal Objects. I am able to refresh the report successfully but when I sent thisr eport another user (different Webi user id/password) and she tried to refresh it… It thorw this message “Some obsolete objects will be delted” and when she click on OK , all user objects will go away and report will displayign wrong result…

Any clue, whats going on here…

Any suggestion…

Does it something---- while saving “need to out check – save for all users”???
Thanks,

045331 (BOB member since 2004-01-23)

UDOs (User Defined Objects) are local to your PC only.
I strongly recommend against using UDOs for production reports for exactly this reason (there is a reason why UDOs sound so close to UFOs :rotf: )

Either copy your local *.udo file to the other user’s PC (do a search on BOB for UDO), or ask your universe designer to incorporate the UDOs in the universe.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the info… Is there any work around, to achieve this…
We are planning to publish this report on web… and the reson you have listed, it seems it will fail…

Any work around please

The work around is in my previous answer: Ask the universe designer to include the UDOs in the universe.

Hi Andreas,

Do I need to copy the UDO as well as Universe (local file) also to users machine. As I can see the universe got the same time stamp as UDo file.

Is it required???

I asked my user to copy the UDo file but it didn’t help. She is running from her local machine. Do I need to ask her to restart her machine??

Thanks,

If the “objects” have already been removed from the report, the user will need another copy. If they she didn’t save the changes and is still getting the issue, I’d at least restart the Reporter module.

You may also want to verify that you both are working from the same universe. Universe objects that have been removed will cause this issue (even if they have been readded) due to the underlying nature of the object ids.

-RM

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Hi Gurus,

One more problem to add this –

I copied my udo file to user’s machine and now she is able to refresh the report but when she is clicking on Edit Data Provider - It is causing the same problem and throwing error “Some Obslete objects will be deleted”.

Any clue on this…

Thanks,
-Manoj

Is the user running in ZABO mode (3-tier)? I though you couldn’t use UDOs unless you are running in 2-tier mode.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Hi Steve,

Can you please tell me what exactly the meaning of ZABO (2 tier) and 3 tier???

After knowing, I would be able to answer your question inbetter way.

Thanks,
Manoj

Good thought, but I’m quite sure this is not the case. We are a 100% ZABO (as end user) shop, and we do use UDO’s successfully.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Manoj,

2-tier is non-ZABO full-client, installed from the CD (say). The middleware, too, has to be installed on the user’s PC.

3-tier is ZABO – installation is done via WebI/Infoview, and thereafter, involves use of the WebI server (even when the user doesn’t realize it). When the user logs in, they also get logged in to WebI. When the user runs a query, it actually gets submitted via the WebI server, which has the middleware. The WebI server sends the results (data cube) to the user’s desktop, and manipulation of the data into reports is then done on the user’s machine.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Hi Anita,

Thanks for the information. It hepled me alot in understanding the things behind the tree :shock:

So now I am clear that, I am using 3 tier.

Can anybody now help me in locating the exact problem.

Thanks,
-Manoj

Manoj – I’ve tried logging in via ZABO – and I have the UDO objects available, so that doesn’t seem like it should be a problem.

How about having the user try a different test. Log in and create a new query with the universe in question. When the query panel comes up, click the User Objects icon (the one with the pyramid, sphere, cube and pencil – that is just to the right of the “SQL” button).

In the User Objects panel that comes up, does the user see the objects that you created in your UDO or not?

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Again:
If these objects are needed for a report to be distributed/run by other users as well then the UDO’s belong in the universe IMHO