BusinessObjects Board

Defaulting prompt value with refreshed LOVs

We are having a date prompt in our reports, so that the user could select the date for which they want to run the report. Along with date we are showing the Date Id field.
So the LOVs in prompt look like this.
(-05) 01/08/2004

Where -05 is the Date Id indicating that 8 Jan is 5 days before today.
We need to pass Date Id to do some filtering and putting conditions on data set.
The problem is, when the user sees the report on next day, he will see
(-05) 01/08/2004 (Because BO retains the previously selected value in prompts). where as the id for 01/08/2004 should now be -06 instead of -05.
If the user does not click on values and select the new date, the wrong value of id vs date is passed to query and it fetches very less data which is incorrect.

Is there any way that the new refreshed value of LOV could be displayed in the prompt by default instead of maintaining the previously shown values.

mkumar (BOB member since 2002-08-26)

In Designer, customize the list of values and make sure the ‘Automatic refresh’ tickbox is checked.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

The ‘Automatic refresh before open’ is checked.
When the users clicks on ‘VALUES’ tab, he can see the refreshed data.

But the default selected value in prompt is what user had selected the previous day.

I hope I am clear in what I am saying.

Thanks,
Manish

mkumar (BOB member since 2002-08-26)

The issue really is: How do I do default values in prompts? The answer is: You can only do this with the SDK. BO will always retain the last value entered in a prompt.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

I didn’t read it that way at all.

The question I understood was

That sounds to me like a request to refresh the LOV automatically.

You said that ‘Refresh automatically’ was checked. How about ‘Export with Universe’?

Yes, refresh the LOV and populate the prompt result with the most recent value. :slight_smile: As Steve said, it’s an SDK solution.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Oh OK. I see. We’re in the E6 forum with this discussion. Didn’t I see something in the E6 query panel to give a default value to a prompt list :confused: ? I can’t get to our site right now to look. The extranet appears to be unavailble and I didn’t bring my laptop home.

Indeed I did see it. Extranet is up and you can default a prompt in the new Webi query panel. Maybe that will help you.

That is true. It works with WebI-created reports and prompts that are built in the query panel. I’m pretty sure that prompts from condition objects are not available.

Also, the prompts built in the query panel can be ordered any way you want. No more numbering them.

But that allows you to set one default prompt, correct? So you could, for example, say that I want a default to a prompt “Which fruit?” to start with “Apple”.

But in the case of date, where the default might change each day (meaning I want a prompt to default to “yesterday” which changes daily) then we’re back to an SDK solution. :yesnod:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

or maybe not :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok let’s try again. You also said…

Two questions…

1. Do you need to present a list of values or do you know what date should be chosen? If you know, you could pick for them automatically.

2. We’re in the Webi forum. If the user runs the report from Corporate Documents he/she will see the value in the prompt from when the report was saved to the repository. If you save the report purged, they will see nothing at all. Then you could refresh your LOV automatically and they could choose the appropriate date from the list. Where are they seeing the previously saved values? Are they not accessing the document from Corporate Documents?

In WebI6, you can set a default value for a prompt, but it cannot be a varaiable.