BusinessObjects Board

Can Crystal Reports Enterprise Do Report Bursting Like BCA?

We are going to convert all of our Lawson Business Objects reports to the version of Crystal Enterprise that Lawson packages with their 8.0 software. We currently have salary and GL reports that are distributed to upper management through BCA using refresh with the profile of each recipient and I was wondering if Crytsal Enterprise has similar capabilities, I am going to be the back-up support person for Crystal but I haven’t attended any training yet.

Heather Homestead (BOB member since 2002-08-19)

To the best of my knowledge and last time I looked Crystal cant do bursting like BO. I had to do a review of Crystal and BO and one of main selling points for BO over Crystal was its ability to burst reports.

I work in an enviroment where the system I report from is highly secure in that nearly all users have a unqiue securty profile in terms of data they allowed to see. If I had used Crystal I would of had to create a seperate report for each user and that was a no go. :mrgreen:

Rich :uk: (BOB member since 2002-10-04)

See here for more info on the differences between BO and Crystal…

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

]

I had a sneaking suspicion that this was probably not going to be possible in Crystal. I don’t know why upper management in my company makes descions to switch reporting platforms without any investigation as to the affects of the switch. I think that they just let the consultants that they hire lead them around by the nose.

Wonder if you can do something with the AT command?

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Nick, Is that some type of a prompt command? I also had another thought, I wonder if Crystal Enterprise can handle row level security like BO and then you would just make the users responsible for running these reports themselves after they receive notification that the monthly Finance closing has been completed.

You use AT at the command prompt to schedule ‘some action’ on a frequent basis. There is windows version of it which on NT 4 at work I see as an option in explorer, below my network drives. Anyway, in effect you could ‘schedule’ a report to open in open - set it to refresh automatically on open…maybe get cute with VBA…

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Can I be alloed to ask what you mean by bursting a report?

Playuser :poland: (BOB member since 2003-09-15)

Hi,

I found (DocumentBurster) www.pdfburst.com which I am using for report bursting. It is very good and it can deliver the bursted reports to email and/or ftp. It is free for downloading and for using.

Thank you,
Doru

Doru (BOB member since 2008-03-25)