BusinessObjects Board

Fortune Article on BusinessIntelligence

Has anyone else read this Fortune article? It talks about BusinessObjects, SAS, Cognos and use at several companies, including Ben & Jerry’s, and Land’s End. I thought it was interesting. And, I forwarded the URL to my financial-oriented husband, because he keeps asking me what BusinessObjects is. (He just doesn’t get it.)

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I read it. It was very interesting. It talked about BI being one of the “few hot areas in tech”. Do you think that’s true? I’m looking for a job and although there a some consulting opportunities, I’m not seeing many full-time BO positions. Is that the wave of the BI future?

ckimmc :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

I’ve not read the article yet. I would like to believe that BI is a hot area. I usually find that a good indicator of market conditions is how many emails I get from recruitment agents. At the moment, and this has been for a while now, I have heard absolutely nothing. I think things are flat, at best, certainly in the UK.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

And you wonder that things are flat with the threat of a war against Iraq?

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I read the article a week back and it is great. But I also read another interesting research paper by Gartner Research about BI market and how COGNOS is executing very well when compared to BO. http://www.gartner.com/reprints/cognos/112754.html

Kiran Gullapalli (BOB member since 2002-09-11)

Greetings –

Fortune has moved the article from the original site. Does anyone have an electronic or paper copy? Very interested as my bosses are on a very big Actuate kick as of late.

Thanks in advance.

Grant Murray
MFS Investement Management

dgmurray (BOB member since 2002-09-06)

Try this http://www.fortune.com/fortune/print/0,15935,427294,00.html

Kiran Gullapalli (BOB member since 2002-09-11)

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/techatwork/articles/0,15704,427294,00.html

I think this link will get you to it.

When is the BO job market going to pick up? I see consulting opportunities but no perm jobs. Does this signal a temporary trend or a permanent change in the BI job market?

I agree the BO job market in the UK is very poor at the moment. This time last year I had no problem finding a role, however now its a different story. Employers here know they can be choosy now as there is so many people looking for roles.

An good indication of this drop in demand is rates and salaries for contract and perminant staff. Previously a year or two ago a good BO developer (Contractor) in London could command around £500 - £700 a day (so I was told), a perminate BO deveper upto around £45k a year. A year on you are looking top whack £350 aday for contractor and around £40k a year for perminant.

Still good money in my books but it does show my point. I’m just hoping things pick up :yesnod:

Rich :uk: (BOB member since 2002-10-04)

I think things are slowly picking up around here. I am seeing a few more ads in the national market. Locally, KC area, I have seen a few people moving around. However, you have to know people because the jobs are being filled by word of mouth, no local ads. That is still better thanthings were last year.

Lee Drake :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Things in KC would pick up now that I don’t live there anymore! I’m in Atlanta now. Any tips for finding those “word of mouth” jobs? I am part of the GA users group, but any other ideas?

The user groups are a great place to network. In addition, I would suggest talking to your local BusinessObjects rep. They would know who, in your area, is using BO, and may even know of some who are in need of new people.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Hmm, it depends on where you are obviously and who you are but those rates are not top whack by anymeans. Just had my contract renewed and there are a few things out there…

Nick,

Bragging is not allowed on BOB :slight_smile:

Looks like I need to move to England!

I wasn’t :wink: I know of other people in this area of work who are good - but not gurus - who earn in excess of Rich’s figures.

You know I was just kidding! No one answered my contracting question though. I’m interested in trying it at some point but I’ve always been chicken even though I believe that “job security” is a myth. Are there any bobbers who’ve been contractors and perm employees and how stable do they find contracting to be?

I was permanent and have just started a renewal of my first contract. The company I was permanent at had 20% redundancies which I missed, but we were all under threat. Contracting is more of a risk and even more so in the current climate.

Nick,

I didnt release up North rates were so good

My figures are based on what I see on www.jobserve.co.uk if you search on Business Objects you will see all jobs for BO both perm and contract and rates.

Most contractors I know in the city have had to go perminant, they just could not get work. They just wont pay contractor rates any more in the city unless you have a very unique and hard to come by skill. Hopefully things will pick up.

Rich :uk: (BOB member since 2002-10-04)