BusinessObjects Board

SAP Ideas - request for votes

Doesn’t BO now come with a version management tool in CMC?

Yes. I don’t want management I want documentation though - so you can look at the unv and see a decent list of what changes happened when.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

An improvement to the tool to provide check in notes and a version management universe then?

Error message placeholder for CMC-scheduled report failure email notifications 8)

Search by ID or CUID in CMC

Oftentimes I need to locate an object (usually a WebI document) in the CMC but I only have its ID or CUID. As an example, I may have performed a CMS query to retrieve a list of WebI documents meeting some complex criteria. The query gives me the name, ID, and CUID, but not the object’s folder path, which I need in order to locate it in the CMC.

Or, I may have an openDocument link and need to locate the target report.

I would like to have the ability to search for objects in the CMC by ID and/or CUID. Ideally, there would be a single place in the CMC where I could drop in an ID or CUID, and be brought to the applicable area within the CMC (Users/Groups, Public Folders, etc.) where that object is. Alternatively, simply explnding the current “Find” object present in each CMC area would help. For example, in Public Folders, the Find box has the option to find by Title, Keywords, or Description; this could be extended to include “ID” and “CUID”.

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Additional DrillFilters() option
Add an optional parameter to DrillFilters() which allows you to display the dimension that the drill filter value relates to.

Universe Object Overload in Web Intelligence

Currently, we have the ability to create a universe overload to hide an object from one or more users/groups. When we do this, the object is unavailable to users who are creating a new document. However, if an existing report uses that object, the user gets an error when trying to refresh that report, that objects are not available to them, and they are unable to refresh the document at all.

In Crystal Reports, the user is able to refresh the report, but the column that contains the hidden object is simply removed from the report. All other data is accessible to the user.

This idea is to have Web Intelligence work the same way that Crystal Reports works. If a user refreshes a Web Intelligence document that contains an object that they are not permitted to access, the related column/data will be hidden from the report, but all other data will be visible.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

I never cared for this feaure in the universe, because of this behavior resulting in an error during report refresh.

So I am all for it :+1: :cookie:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

+1 from me

Michael, I had had a similar idea, but a little different. I was going to include it as a comment on yours but it’s different enough that I submitted mine separately. I believe both are worthy of consideration.

Enhanced object-level security
We often have a requirement to adjust the value in an object based on a user’s group membership. For example, we may have a universe object for SSN; when authorized users refresh a report that contains this object, they should see the actual values from the source column. But if a non-authorized user refreshes the same report, that user should see a different, static value in the SSN column (ex. “N/A”).

Currently, we can use Access Restrictions to completely hide the object for non-authorized users, but that only causes an error message to be displayed. It does not allow us to make the same report available to both sets of users.

I can see this being implemented in one of two ways (or both ways). The easy way would be to introduce a new @variable() value that returns the current user’s authorized object security level, as an integer (ex. Public = 0, Controlled = 1, etc.). Thus, I could secure my SSN object with logic similar to the following:
CASE WHEN @variable(‘SECLEVEL’) > 3 THEN table.soc_sec_nbr ELSE ‘N/A’ END

The second method would be to use the existing Access Restrictions dialog (UDT) or Business Security Profile dialog (IDT). In both dialogs, where objects can currently be selected for hiding, add the following option:
Hide object
Replace Object SELECT with:

The second option would allow me to specify an alternate source definition for the object when the security restriction applies. I could either specify static text (‘N/A’), or a different source column.

Is this for universe-based reports in Crystal? My concern would be that potentially you’ll get different results depending upon how this idea is implemented - removing an object could significantly change the SQL generated. Don’t worry, I won’t be voting the idea down though!

I vote for 1st point as universe based variables are useful and it is good to have variables at universe level

surya_sudheer :india: (BOB member since 2006-11-01)

My idea won’t have any impact on Crystal Reports. My idea is to make Webi work in the same way as Crystal Reports based on universes.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Hi Joe,

I like your idea, but personally I found the built-in security levels were not flexible enough (if you’re in private, you’re in private for all objects & universes).

I actually use a database function and a security table in the database to do exactly what you’re suggesting, except that it’s particular to each object & user. The SQL for the object then reads:

Case When DB_NAME.dbo.F_SecurityCheck (@Variable('BOUSER'),'FIELD') = 1  then DB_NAME.dbo.TABLE.FIELD Else '(Restricted)' End

Hayden_Gill :australia: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Yes, that’s what we do, too. It works, but it is clumsy since the logic is required for all secured objects. I proposed the two options, but my preference would be the second – enhancing the current object-level security model to change the definition of an object rather than hiding.

https://ideas.sap.com/D40501

James has just lost his temper…

But for a reason! I am completely with him.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

It is where ideas place falls down…

Nice use of colors, though.

I understand your idea, my concern is that it depends on how it is implemented in Webi - potentially different SQL being generated than that which was expected if the object is excluded before or after the query is thrown to the SQL generation phase, especially if there is anything complex done with aggregate navigation.