BusinessObjects Board

WebI Rich Client working on server machine only !!!

Hello,

When I use WebI Rich Client on the BO server directly it works fine. But when I try using it from any client machine using the same users, I can see the universe objects and select them but when I hot run query, I get “A database error occured. The database error text is: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (WIS 10901)”
I can create the repot from InfoView using the client machine.

Any ideas why rich client is not working?

Thank you

dideb (BOB member since 2005-07-05)

Hi,

It looks that the universe uses an ODBC driver in its connection. The ODBC driver was configured only on the BO server but not on your machine. Try creating the same ODBC driver and check again whether it works.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Thanks Marek. It worked when I created the ODBC connection on my machine. But isn’t this a bit strange…
Do I have to create this connection on each client machine accessing the universe through Rich Client? Is this the normal process for WebI Rich Client?

Thanks

Hi,

It depends on whether you use WRC in 2-tier mode or in 3-tier mode.

You need to configure local ODBC driver on each machine if WRC is used in 2-tier mode. (2-tier mode --> you should see “Connected” in th bottom right status bar of WRC).

If 3-tier mode is used then the BO server middle-ware is used (3-tier mode --> you should see “Connected (HTTP)” in th bottom right status bar of WRC).

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Yes, It’s a 2-tier mode. I see “Connected” in my status bar.
Is this something that can be changed or is it related to the BO installation at the beginning?

Thanks

It can if you install the OLEDB data access pack, on the BO server. Then you just have to set up the relant OLEDB DB connection on the server and it should work.

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Thanks a lot Mak and Marek