BusinessObjects Board

LOV0001 - Too many rows selected

2 users run the same query, against the same database using the same universe and have the same permissions, one runs ok, but the other persons errors with the following LOV0001 - Too many rows selected. In the error manual it says that MAX_VALUE_INLIST can be changed in the prm file. I added MAX_VALUE_INLIST = 256 to the ora7en.prm (from which you’ll see it is an Oracle DB). User still gets same problem. Any ideas?
Reply direct if you like to steveh@tah.co.uk

steveh (BOB member since 2002-09-06)

Maybe all it is is syntax. Isn’t the parameter supposed to be max_inlist_values rather than max_value_inlist?

As an aside…did you know that with Oracle, the max_inlist_values can be much higer? I can’t recall the exact number but it is at least 1000?

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

There’s a gaff for my first post! I actually put MAX_INLIST_VALUES in the .prm file, but in my haste reported it as MAX_VALUE_INLIST in this post! Thanks anyway, certainly made me check what I had done.

steveh (BOB member since 2002-09-06)

Cindy: I think that Oracle allows more values now, but BusObj does not. I think that the cap is still 256 entries that may be manually selected. Oracle will allow a delimited list of up to 8,000… or at least that’s what I remember from the listserv.

Anytime this topic comes up, however, I wonder if a sub-query isn’t the better way to go. I would hate to have to pick 1,000 entries from a list… and if you want them all, you might as well not have a condition in the first place. (Hoping desperately that “optional” prompts are a feature of the next release…)

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Agreed. I also wonder about the usefulness of a list of values that contains thousands of choices. We’ve placed nested prompts on our location lov so that the user must narrow down his location search to at least the state level.

We haven’t answered your original question have we Steve? Why can user A select 257 values from the list and user B cannot? Perhaps now that you’ve listened to our lov ponderings you don’t care any more? :smiley:

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

Is it happening in Infoview or BO Full client? If it is happening in Infoview then I guess that both users are using diff type of query panel. it might be working fine for Full Java query panel and may not be for ‘Active-x’ panel? Is that the case?

dcdas :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)