BusinessObjects Board

12 steps for migrating docs using two repositories

I have IBM AIX as the second server. When I install WebI 2.7, the bomain.key file is generated when I run the wmainkey script. The first server has the repository on it and has bomain.key file as we had WebI 2.6 on that server. I copy the file generated from running script on second server into LocData folder of the client. I am able to generate reports using full client, but when I connect to WebI 2.7 server and try to connect to repository on the first server to create reports, i get an error universe domain not responding.
Is there the problem with the bomain.key file?
I need help

ASP (BOB member since 2004-04-19)

Have you configured DB2 Connect on the server. This is clearly a middleware problem. To be honest, you’re not going to solve this on a public forum. You need to bring someone in or set up a web conference so that someone who knows the software can help make it work.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Thanks Steve

We reinstalled and reconfigured WebI on the new server and also configured DB2 connect and it’s connecting to the repository. But when we build a query and run it, it runs and runs and gives no result. however it runs on the first server. Is that i need to modify any settings?
Thanks

Verify the middleware is set up correctly on the 2nd server. It sounds like they are pointing to different databases.

Hello.
Does anyone have code that migrates reports? We are thinking about rebuilding our entire repository and would migrate 4000+ reports. :cry:

Thanks,
Jen

jenhanson :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

Hello Steve.
We are pointing to 2 different databases (DB2 and SQL server). We tried configuring the middleware and now its working fine, connecting to the repository, but when I select objects and run reports. I am only able to run it with DB2 and not with SQL server. Is that some settings needs to be changed. Please help.
Regards.

Are you talking about a universe that connects to both databases?

If so, it’s unlikely that it will work. The SQL differences are big enough where that simply does not make sense.

No I am not talking about universes pointing to two different databases. I have some universes which are in DB2 and some in SQL Server. My repository lies on DB2. I am only able to generate reports from DB2 universes, not from SQL server universes. It am getting a "Connection or SQL sentence error: (DA0005) {[IBM][CLI Driver] SQL1013N The database alias name or database name[
] not found.

Sorry, but I have to be a bit obnoxious on this one. Look at your error message. You haven’t built any connectionst to SQL Server. You’re getting a DB2 error message. You have an ODBC source that is a DB2 source that you are using to try to connnect to a Microsoft database. Do you really think this is ever going to work?

Fix your middleware and test each part.

Thanks Steve

I dont think what is the problem with the middleware. We are getting connection successful for both. There is a BO tech support person with us today working on it and according to him too the connection seems to be ok. He tried reinstalling DB2 connect as well. We added both databases, but still it’s not upto expectations. We are still not able to run queries on SQL server universes. we however see the classes and objects in sql server universes, but on selecting and “run query” command, we have an error. He too is working on it. He too said & I can understand that the environment is slightly complex. Any ideas by anyone who have come accross configuring middleware and working in such a environment, please provide any suggestions. Or is there problem with IBM AIX settings?
Thanks in advance.

Hello,
How did you resolved your problem?
I got a similiar situation where the repository is in Oracle and I have other universes that are DB2. DB2 is on a mainframe, so the BO web server is using DB2 Connect. Like you I can see the objects of the DB2 Universes but I got an API error when I tried to execute the report in Webi.

Thanks.
Claudine

Simard.MA@forces.gc.ca (BOB member since 2004-09-28)

Thanks Steve.

you consolidated my knowledge on migrating universes and TAUGHT me how to migrate reports between repositories.

bodummy (BOB member since 2005-01-12)

How about deploying Webi Corporate documents to different repository, like from QA to Prod repository? It’s still confusing me, i mean the steps for migrating.

BOisBest :india: (BOB member since 2004-04-05)

Anita, please try these threads:

Migration method for WEBI reports

can we change the universe of a webi document?

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I was told at a Business Objects training class to NEVER do a File > Save As with a universe. This could cause problems with the internal ID’s as the Save As treats it like a new universe. Our instructor said it was much better to move the .unv file by copy and paste.

Anyone had any problems with this before?

Andrew Mitchell :canada: (BOB member since 2003-06-09)

For 5 years I have always moved our universes between repositories by doing a File > Save As. Actually you could (still?) find these migration steps on the Business Objects tech support site. The Save As does reset the universe id but Business Objects will match on the Universe Name if the object id doesn’t match.

Michele Pinti (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

FYI I just checked the tech support site and they still have these steps listed to migrate a universe from one repository to another.

Michele Pinti (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Great, thanks for the info.

Andrew Mitchell :canada: (BOB member since 2003-06-09)

While the training classes are quite good, it all depends on the experience of the instructor. Many instructors have NEVER actually worked with the products in the real world.

Those of us who have done both, would give you a real answer.

We have over 100 universes and we replace them all the time using Save As. The real problem is when you replace a universes with a new one, if your object id’s are out of synch, they could actually re-map in reports to the new object id. But, in this case, where the universe is identical on both repositories, you shouldn’t have that problem. The key to remember is this:
[list] * When moving a document to a universe with the same filename.unv, the report will use the object id’s for mapping.

• When moving a document from one universe to another (with a different filename.unv) the report will use the object names for mapping.[/list]
    A lot of pain and suffering went on to find this out! Hope this info is helpful to someone!

dj

djenkins (BOB member since 2002-12-12)